When something happens to your garage door, it can be challenging to determine whether you should replace or repair it. How do you know which option will make more sense and be more effective in the long run? Learn when it’s better to replace vs. repair your garage door and what the benefits are of both options.
Do You Need a New Garage Door?
When something happens to your garage door, you typically have two options — repair or replace it. How do you know which option is the right choice for you? There are certain situations or problems you may face with your garage door that may be better suited for either a replacement or a repair.
Here are some common garage door issues and whether they warrant a repair or a new door:
When to Repair Your Garage Door
Making repairs to your garage door is often the favorable option in these situations:
- Damaged panel: Commonly, garage doors become dented or damaged over time. Luckily, garage door panels are a relatively simple repair when addressed sooner rather than later. There’s no need to replace your entire garage door when the damage is confined to a single panel.
- Door stops working: When your door suddenly breaks down and isn’t working, the solution may be an easy repair. These are likely due to an isolated issue that can be easier to locate and repair than a problem that’s been worsening over time.
- Unbalanced door: If one side of your garage door appears to be sagging more than the other, it may be unbalanced, or you have a broken cable. Any imbalance can put unnecessary stress on the lift motor, which can create more extensive damage over time. This problem only requires a simple repair when you catch it early.
- Worn or broken springs: The springs that aid in the lifting mechanism gradually wear down over time, which can cause your garage door to feel heavy. Worn springs are typically an affordable repair and can help reduce wear on the entire garage door system. If your garage door spring is broken, a replacement spring will have your garage door running smoothly for years to come.
When to Replace Your Garage Door
In most cases, it makes more sense to replace your garage door, particularly in these situations:
- Significant damage: When multiple garage door panels are damaged or the door undergoes significant damage, replacing it is a more cost-effective solution. When repairs won’t suffice or would cost as much or more than a new door, you may be better off going with a replacement.
- Door hasn’t worked: If your door hasn’t worked properly in a long period of time, you may need to replace it entirely. While professionals can often repair a sudden breakdown easily, extensive damage requires a replacement.
- Old garage door: Like most things, old garage doors will show natural wear and tear and become less efficient as they age. Old garage repairs often fail to be effective long-term solutions. Garage door designs and features also progress over time, so replacing your old door can be a huge improvement.
- High energy consumption: When garage doors have ineffective insulation or poor energy efficiency, they can drive up your energy bill. To prevent this, replace your garage door with a newer, more energy-efficient door that will help lower your energy costs.
Garage Door Repair vs. Replacement
Both repairing and replacing your garage door are beneficial in a few different ways. If you’re still unsure of which route to take, consider some of the benefits of each option to help you determine what will be most beneficial in your situation.
Benefits of Repairing
Depending on the situation, repairing your garage door can be extremely beneficial. When small issues arise, repairs can be time- and cost-effective.
For example, repairing one dented panel is much more affordable than purchasing an entirely new door. Repairs can also be more convenient, as they’re typically simple repairs that a professional can finish in short amounts of time rather than undergoing a major home improvement project like replacing the door.
Keep in mind, however, that small problems can turn into large ones if you leave them unaddressed. Repairs are most beneficial when initiated promptly.
Benefits of Replacing
Replacing your garage door offers a different set of benefits.
If you’re looking for a garage door solution that will also increase your home’s value, replacing is the way to go. Investing in your home and improving its curb appeal can boost its value if you chose to sell.
Additionally, new garage doors require less frequent repairs and maintenance, which can save you money in the long run. New garage doors can also help improve your home’s security, as your garage door will be less of a burglary target.
Other Garage Replacement Considerations
Replacing your garage door is a significant home investment, so there are many things to consider when making the decision to replace it. To ensure you’re making a fully informed decision, here are a few more aspects to consider when looking at new garage doors:
- Warranty: When buying a new garage door, you’ll want to ensure it comes with a warranty so you know your purchase is protected. Warranties can cover a variety of aspects, like defects, repairs or replacements, for a specified period of time following your purchase. Look into your garage door manufacturer’s or seller’s warranty policy before purchasing.
- Budget: Another huge aspect to consider is your budget and what the most cost-efficient solution will be. You’ll need to consider whether a single repair will be sufficient or if it’d make more sense to spend the money on a replacement. You’ll also need to consider that the price of a new door can vary depending on the style and features of the system.
- Aesthetic: The garage door is one of the first features people will notice about your house, which means it has a big impact on your home’s exterior appearance. Consider colour, design and style in relation to the exterior of your house.
Contact Upper Canada Garage Doors for Repair and Replacement Services
Trusting a professional to repair or replace your garage door ensures the job is done properly and safely. For quality garage door services, contact Upper Canada Garage Doors. We understand that each repair and replacement job is different depending on your needs, so we take time to understand your situation and provide the highest quality service to our clients.
From helping you find the right products for a replacement to repair and maintenance, our team has the knowledge and experience to deliver top-quality results. Request service or get a new door quote today to begin your project.